We’re looking for someone to help us maintain our online library of texts, and make sure the database is in order, adequately tagged, and usable.
To learn more about the benefits of working with us, check out this page.
What you’ll be doing
- Review texts on our database, and ensure all meta-data is in place, including dates, author names, links, tags and photographs.
- Help us improve our text classification system – and suggest alternative or better tagging system.
What kind of person we’re looking for
- Someone who loves reading. You’ll be reading a lot of Chinese texts – if you don’t enjoy it, you’ll be miserable, and we don’t want that happening.
- Someone who loves order; you’ll be reducing the chaos on our website, and create real value for our user.
- Someone with a lot of patience, willing to spend a long time fixing small details.
More about the role
Language skills: Advanced or native knowledge of written Chinese is required for the role. A working knowledge of English is desirable.
Remuneration: This is a volunteer position, but we’ll give you French cakes, free training and regular mentorship sessions.
Time commitment: The role will require between one and two days of work every fortnight. Working times may vary, and will be negotiable. Tenure is for a minimum of 12 weeks – with a possibility to get more involved in our organisation over time.
Reporting: The successful candidate will work as part of a team, and report directly to the Chief Editor. We’ll provide the Wi-Fi, but we’ll expect you to bring your own laptop. If you don’t have a laptop, please don’t let that discourage you from applying, we may be able to work something out.
Work Environment: The successful candidate will be able to work from Arrow Building on Swanston Street; alternatively, the successful candidate may report to the Chief editor at our Hub Melbourne Office on Bourke Street. Some of the work may be conducted from home.
How to apply?
We’re looking for people, not ‘resources’ or ‘skills’, so don’t write us a generic cover letter, but tell us a bit about yourself, and in particular why you think you’d be great for the role and why you think the role would be great for you. And if you’d like to send us a pic of your dog, please do!
To apply, send a CV to [email protected].
For more information, call Julien at 0420 225 834.