Who are we?
The Marco Polo Project is a not-for-profit organisation that uses the endless possibilities of online collaboration to improve cultural and linguistic understanding between China and ‘the West’.
We curate an online magazine presenting a diverse selection of new writing from China – non-fiction and social commentary from leading contemporary intellectuals and independent bloggers – and engage language learners in collaborative translation activities, online and offline. Our model offers learners a motivation to study by reframing the practice of translation as a socially meaningful activity, and gives non-Mandarin readers access to authentic Chinese writing in translation.
Positions currently on offer
We are now looking to grow the organisation and are offering very competitive internship positions to take on the challenge of this growth.
Why should you work with us?
- We’re a not-for-profit company exploring exciting new models of translation and language education that will make a real difference in building the conditions for better cross-cultural understanding.
- We publish unique and exciting writing from China, and work at the cutting edge of cultural engagement with the world’s biggest emerging power.
- You’ll observe a growing web start-up from the inside, and learn first hand about innovative social business models and digital community building.
- You’ll be working in a supportive environment that encourages innovation and diversity. You’ll be working directly with our founder and CEO, Julien Leyre, and will receive informal mentorship throughout the duration of this internship.
- You’ll be part of a multicultural team, and make exciting new connections with people from a range of backgrounds.
How to apply?
We’re looking for people, not ‘resources’ or ‘skills’, so don’t write us a generic cover letter, but tell us a bit about yourself, and in particular why you think you’d be great for the role and why you think the role would be great for you. And if you’d like to send us a pic of your dog, please do!
To apply, send a CV to [email protected].
For more information, call Julien at 0420 225 834.